Event Website: www.vikingxc.com/viking-opener.php (for more complete instructions including parking and course maps, last minute instructions and all-time lists).
Host: Montgomery High School
Where: Spring Lake County Park, Santa Rosa
MCHS XC Coaches: Coach Marion and Coach Erik (a.k.a. "Dad") and Dr. Palladino will be in charge! ...Please be at the MCHS canopy one hour before your race, give yourself time to park/plenty of time to warm-up!) MCHS XC Race Rosters TBD and will be posted tomorrow
VERY IMPORTANT! PARKING INSTRUCTIONS: The Newanga park entrance is for team buses, coaches with equipment and team carpools led by coaches. There is a mandatory $7 fee at the entrance unless you have a Regional Park Pass. Please do not park at the Boat Ramp! We need this area to be as open as possible to facilitate the races. There is parking at the Violetti entrance to Spring Lake, all along the Montgomery Drive Dam and Howarth Park. If your kids are getting dropped off by parents please do not send them to Newanga. Last year we had an hour long traffic backup there so please make alternative plans. The park has recently installed credit card kiosks at both (Newanga & Violetti) entrances. Sometimes they fail to work. If this happens keep the traffic moving along and post a note on your windshield.
Race Course: All divisions, 2.0 miles, rolling hills on dirt trails and paved bike paths
Scoring: All grade-level races, the top 3 finishers for each team make up the team score, 4th and 5th runners displace. Athletes may not “race-up” a division (ex. No Freshmen in the Junior race). Incomplete teams will be
scratched from team scoring but those individuals will be eligible for awards.
Concessions: There will be concessions available at the event and the custom tee shirt vendor will be on site. First aid will be located at the concession booth.
Alumni Race: Team scoring as above. All runners teamed according to high school they attended or high school region (i.e. those from the same county, region, etc.). OK to register on race day (Coaches Free! ...All others = $10). ...Wear your old school uniform if available!Awards: TEAM: Ribbons to each team member (max 5) on 1st thru 4th place teams in grade-level and open races. INDIVIDUAL: Medals to top 10 finishers & ribbons to finishers 11th through 20th in each division.
Race Schedule (specific MCHS rosters will be published tomorrow):
7:30 - 8:30 a.m. Course open for walking
8:20 Coaches Meeting
8:35 Junior High Boys and Girls (unlimited)
9:00 Frosh Boys (5 max.)
9:20 Soph Boys (5 max)
9:40 Frosh/Soph Girls (5 max.)
10:35 Junior Boys (5 max.)
10:55 Junior/Senior Girls (5 max.)
11:20 Open Girls (unlimited-must fill grade levels first)
11:45 Senior Boys (5 max.)
12:05 Open Boys (unlimited-must fill grade levels first)
12:30 Team Award Presentation
...More Viking Opener Details:
- Teams are limited to 5 runners in each age division race. Three runners score, 4th and 5th runners displace. Open races are unlimited. You MUST field grade level races before you field Open race teams. Failure to comply will result in team DQ.
- Singlets must be tucked in prior to the race start and remain on until exiting the finish chute.
- Athletes must report to the starting line 5 minutes prior to race start. Coaches, parents and other athletes are to be away from the starting line 5 minutes prior to the start of each race so we can get an accurate count of entries.
- Results will be posted as soon as possible after each race between the trees next to the bike path.
Woodbridge Invite, Saturday 9/19/15 Event Highlights:
> IMPORTANT! ...If you have a Van or SUV we can borrow to drive to L.A. and back, please contact Greg ASAP! (our Van rentals were sequestered to assist in the Valley Fire efforts and we're still short 6 passenger seats!)
There are 28 athletes to the Woodbridge Invitational. Plan is to leave MCHS on Friday, Sept 18th, 8:30AM (after each athlete checks into their first class that AM), racing Saturday evening, then returning ~5PM on Sunday. MCHS is paying for transportation, Hotels, and all meals except lunch on the way down and back. -To help with expenses, we are asking everyone on the roster to donate $40 to help contribute for gas and food; please give that cash to Greg Thursday or Friday.
4:54 PM: 5 Soph Boys: Scott, Jacob, Ben, Peter, Zach
5:18 PM: 5 Junior Boys: Blake, Jeffrey C., Louis, Cooper,
Niccolo Aiden S
6:30 PM: 5 Frosh Girls*: Aimee, Meghan, Ellie, Talia (Taylor TBD)
7:18 or 7:42 PM: 6 Varsity Girls*: Allie, Sydnie, Lily, Tessa, Emma, Clara
8:06 or 8:30 PM: 7 Varsity Boys: Jordan, Carson, Gabe, Antoine, Jeffrey M, Jackson, Brian
*Note: Depending on our final girls roster, we may change races to JV and Varsity vs. Frosh and Girls
LINK to Woodbridge Invite Event Website
Races will be held in the Orange County Great Park in Irvine
We'll be staying in the Embassy Suites by Hilton in Irvine, 2120 Main Street, Irvine, CA 92614
Other highlights for this meet (cut/pasted from Event website):
- Staging the meet under ideal weather conditions and under the lights. The late afternoon cool ocean breeze and evening temperatures will give your athletes a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to experience the excitement of night racing in cross country while also avoiding the very hot September weather.
- Bringing together the top teams and individuals from multiple states for the ultimate in early-season competition. Year after year, this meet consistently draws many of the top ranked teams and individuals in California and the Nation (240+ schools, 11,000+ athletes) -DANG!
- Having a course that is suitable to the conditioning level of all your athletes for this early part of the season. The entire course is on flat fast grass/dirt surfaces.
- Handing-out over 4800 individual medals (100 per race) and over 288 team trophies (6 per race).
- Providing chip timing with results being made available as soon as runners cross the finish line.
- Providing on-line and hard-copy accurate computerized results within minutes of the last finisher in each race.
- Having digital clocks for the mile and 2-mile splits.
- Setting-up a festive health and expo fair with information and give-aways for your athletes.
Cell: (707) 291-2967